Five men accused of killing a man by assaulting and burning him appeared in the Mtubatuba Magistrate's Court on Tuesday, the National Prosecuting Authority said.
KwaZulu-Natal spokesperson Natasha Ramkisson-Kara said the matter was postponed until 29 September for bail application.
The five men were Komukom Gumede, Justice Stembe, Themba Mdluli, Mziweskosi Ncube, and July Ndlazi. They are aged between 26 and 47.
Earlier this month the five were arrested after a 20-year-old man was killed at Nkanini.
Spokesman Colonel Jay Naicker said the man was allegedly chased by a group of men at Ezwenelisha at about 10pm on Monday (last week) and was later found dead at Nkanini. He was allegedly assaulted and burnt to death. Mtubatuba police were alerted after the incident and when they reached the scene, they found that the deceased was assaulted and burnt.
"The motive of the killing is unknown at this stage. "We will ensure that these men are prosecuted and sent to prison where they belong. Such acts of violence are totally unacceptable and there can be no reason to justify such savagery," Naicker said in a statement.